The pressure of blood in the body higher than 140/90 mm Hgis considered high blood pressure or hypertension. This is a common problem among pregnant women and is definitely a matter of concern. It may not bedangerous, but sometimes complications may arise for both the mother and the baby developing inside her womb.
Although there are many possible causes of
, the most common ones have been dished out below-
- The first and most common cause of hypertension in pregnant women is obesity. Yes, being overweight can be a redflag in this regard. So, if you are fat, you should take efforts to slim down before you get pregnant.
- Yes, pregnancy restricts the movement of your body. But a minimum amount of physical activity is a must. It keeps you healthy and fit even during pregnancy. You need not do rigorous exercise. A few minutes of walking or doing some mild exercises are enough to keep you going. You can also do household chores of moderate intensity to keep yourself fit. Failing to remain active is a cause that leads to hypertension.
- If you are a smoker, it’s better to quit smoking atleast when you are pregnant. Even passive smoking is harmful for pregnant women. Smoking is one of the most obvious reasons of hypertension during pregnancy.
- If you are an alcohol addict, it’s time to put this interest of yours in the backseat, because you wouldn’t want your baby to face any repercussions because of this, would you? Alcoholism is another important reason why pregnant women suffer from hypertension.
- A lot of women complain of hypertension during their first pregnancy. In fact, hypertension during first pregnancy is pretty common.
- If you have a family history of hypertension linked to pregnancy then it’s likely that you will suffer too. So, genes may be considered one factor.
- Women having more than one child in their womb may also suffer from this problem.
- Pregnant women over the age of 40 are also prone to this.
- Assistive technology (such as IVF) may also make you susceptible to this health issue.
If you are suffering from this problem, seeing a Gynecologist in Chandigarh is advisable for a speedy recovery.