Babies, especially if born premature, may need extra care and special treatments, and that’s exactly where Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) becomes really important. There are few hospitals that provide neonatal care in Chandigarh, but having a NICU, especially in maternity hospitals, is an absolute must. NICU usually has the best advanced technology, where new-borns get all the critical and essential care. Here’s a look at procedures that babies may need in NICU.
- Nutritional Support. Premature babies cannot start having milk immediately, so NICU ensures that they get fluids administered through IV, which usually contains minerals, glucose and calcium. This is called total parenteral nutrition (TPN).
- X-rays. X-rays is usually the common test or procedure that’s done in the NICU, and it’s frequently required for examining the chest and lungs of the baby. In some cases, an X-ray may be required for the abdomen.
- This is more like a typical test that’s to get images of body parts and organs. The test is not painful and can be used for brain imaging. Hospitals that offer neonatal care usually have the facility of ultrasound in NICU.
- Blood and Urine Tests. Routine and special tests might be required for testing Blood Gases, Haematocrit, Haemoglobin, Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN) and Creatinin This can be done as required for the baby.
- Blood Transfusions. If the organs responsible for forming blood are immature, the baby may need blood transfusion. Transfusions are common for premature babies, especially in the initial days.
Some of the tests, including blood and urine tests, must be done frequently within the same day to monitor the health of the baby. If you are looking for a hospital, make sure that they also have ventilator ambulance in Chandigarh. Some healthcare units are dedicated to complete maternal and childcare, and you can expect all sorts of services, emergency assistance, including NICU.