Babies gain tremendous amount of weight within the first year of birth, and it goes without saying that nutrition is extremely important. When you visit hospital for baby and mother care in Chandigarh, the doctors will explain on the nutrients that your baby needs after birth within the first year, most of which can be derived from breast milk. Here’s a check on the basics.
- Calcium for bones and teeth
- Fat for development of brain and other organ
- Folate for cell division.
- Iron for blood cells and development of brain. If you talk to the best child doctor in Chandigarh, they may recommend supplements for your baby for iron.
- Protein for energy and growth.
- Carbohydrates for energy.
- Zinc for cellular repair and growth.
- There are a bunch of vitamins that the baby needs, including A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, C, D, and K. Each of these vitamins has a specific purpose.
Understanding vitamins further
Vitamin C offers protection for the immune system, while Vitamin D is critical for absorbing calcium from food. Vitamin E is necessary for the immune system, while Vitamin K helps in blood clotting. Vitamin B1, B2, and B3 help the body in converting food into energy.
Does my baby need supplements?
Babies that need treatment in NICU or extensive care may need supplements more than others, but your doctor is the best person to explain the same. Most new-borns are given some supplements, such as iron, but it also depends largely on the condition of the baby at the time of birth. If the mother is capable of breastfeeding the child, the same is usually recommended in all cases, because breast milk all the essential nutrients that the baby needs.
During various months of your pregnancy, talk your doctor about the various aspects related to the first year care of the new-born.